Stock Market Today: Nifty, Sensex Snap 2-Day Losing Run, High Volatility
By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Major indices on Dalal Street snapped a two-day losing streak and ended in green territory on Monday, tracking mixed global cues and high volatility in the domestic market.
Benchmark equity indices made a flat opening to the final week of FY23, later extending gains in the session on Monday. However, the last-hour selling led to benchmark indices losing their day’s gains while managing to end the session in the green.
Headlines Nifty50 closed 0.24% higher at 16,985.7 points and Sensex added 126.76 points or 0.22%.
The market fear barometer India VIX jumped 5.7% in Monday's intraday and touched 16.09 levels, indicating high volatility, and ended the session 1.35% higher.
Sectoral indices under the Nifty umbrella ended on a mixed note, with gains led by Nifty Pharma and Nifty Healthcare indices, while Nifty Realty fell the most by 1.2%. Nifty Bank gained marginally by 0.09%.
Market heavyweights Reliance (NS: RELI ), Maruti (NS: MRTI ), Cipla (NS: CIPL ), Divi's Laboratories (NS: DIVI ), Grasim (NS: GRAS ), SBI (NS: SBI ) and Sun Pharmaceuticals (NS: SUN ) led the gains on the Nifty pack, while on the flip side, Adani Ports (NS: APSE ), Adani Enterprises (NS: ADEL ), Power Grid (NS: PGRD ), M&M (NS: MAHM ), NTPC (NS: NTPC ), SBI Life Insurance (NS: SBIL ) and Tata Motors (NS: TAMO ) exerted pressure.
At 4:40 pm, key US Futures Dow Futures traded 0.64% higher and Nasdaq 100 Futures gained 0.42%.
Read Also: Major Economic Triggers for Indian Market in Holiday-Curtailed Week: Pin Dates
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or