Stock market today: Dow and Nasdaq notch gains on tech-led rally
By Liz Moyer
Investing.com -- Stocks got a jolt from tech stocks after Tesla beat expectations and investors got a better than expected reading of fourth-quarter economic output.
At 16:01 ET (21:01 GMT), the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 205 points or 0.6%, while the S&P 500 was up 1.1%, and the NASDAQ Composite was up 1.7%.
The indexes are rallying to start the year. The Nasdaq is up 2.7% so far this week and on pace for its best month since last summer.
This is despite negative news from some of the biggest tech companies. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shares were falling 7% in after-hours trading after missing expectations for earnings.
Economic growth slowed in the fourth quarter compared with the third, a sign the Federal Reserve’s aggressive interest rate increases last year are kicking in. Gross domestic product rose 2.9% in the last three months of the year, beating expectations but slower than the 3.2% reported for the third quarter.
But the labor market remains robust, despite several large technology giants cutting jobs in recent days. Initial jobless claims of 186,000 came in lower than the 205,000 expected for last week and also below the week before that.
The Fed will meet next week to decide on the next step for interest rates, and most expect it will raise by another quarter of a percentage point, which is a smaller increment than at its previous meetings.
Investors have been awaiting the time when the Fed’s interest rate moves will pause or perhaps pivot, though Fed officials have emphasized they want to see the terminal rate above 5% in order to tame inflation . That implies another rate hike or two after next week’s meeting if the Fed meets expectations.
Stocks were getting a lift from Tesla's (NASDAQ: TSLA ) better-than-expected results . The electric car maker said recent price cuts have fueled demand for the product, though it also acknowledged challenging economic conditions ahead. Shares of Tesla were up 11%.
Shares of Las Vegas Sands Corp (NYSE: LVS ) rose 6% after the casino operator reported an 11% gain in revenue in the recent quarter and expressed optimism about demand this year. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) stock rose 4.8% after the oil major announced a plan to buy back $75 billion of its stock. Chevron reported record profit in recent quarters.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or