(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Futures up: Dow 0.13 pct, S&P 0.17 pct, Nasdaq 0.49 pct
By Shreyashi Sanyal
Jan 24 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures eked out some gains on Thursday after a string of better-than-feared earnings from chipmakers helped calm concerns over trade tensions and the longest U.S. government shutdown ever.
Investors were expecting weak reports from semiconductor companies amid warnings of a slowing smartphone market from Apple Inc AAPL.O . But Xilinx Inc XLNX.O and Lam Research Corp LRCX.O reported better-than-expected quarterly results.
of Xilinx rose 9.8 percent and Lam Research 6.4 percent in premarket trading. Texas Instruments Inc TXN.O missed quarterly revenue estimates but beat on profit, pushing its shares up 1 percent.
Gains in chip stocks helped Nasdaq futures gain 0.5 percent, while S&P futures were up about 0.1 percent.
While earnings reports from U.S. chip companies soothed nerves about the impact of the U.S.-China trade war on their businesses, somber results from Korean chipmaker SK Hynix Inc 000660.KS fed into the gloom amid China's economy slowing to its weakest in decades. 7:03 a.m. ET, Dow e-minis 1YMc1 were up 31 points, or 0.13 percent. S&P 500 e-minis ESc1 were up 4.5 points, or 0.17 percent and Nasdaq 100 e-minis NQc1 were up 32.5 points, or 0.49 percent.
After a steady start to 2019, in which the S&P 500 hit over one-month high, stocks have lagged this week as fears of slowing growth hit risk appetite. The benchmark index is trading about 10 percent below the record high it hit in September.
International Monetary Fund Managing Director Christine Lagarde reiterated that the major risk facing the global economy was the U.S.-China trade tensions, which could precipitate the slowdown of the Chinese economy. than three-fourth of the 76 S&P 500 companies have reported fourth-quarter results have topped profit estimates, according to Refinitiv data.
But the earnings growth estimates for last quarter have dropped to 14.2 percent from 20.1 percent at the start of October, while 2019 profit growth estimates have come down to 5.9 percent from 10.2 percent in the same period.
Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV ) Co LUV.N shares rose 3.8 percent after the carrier's quarterly profit beat estimates. However, the company said the government shutdown had knocked off $10 million to $15 million from its revenue so far in January. of American Airlines Group AAL.O also rose 2.4 percent.
A slate of transport companies, including railroad operator Union Pacific Corp (NYSE: UNP ) UNP.N , and airlines will report quarterly earnings.
Copper miner Freeport-McMoran FCX.N and industrial company W W Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) GWW.N , whose results are watched for signs on the health of the economy, will also release reports later in the day.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.