Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Telecoms , Consumer Goods and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Technology and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.64% or 0.82 points to trade at 50.92 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.31% or 2.98 points to end at 231.13 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 0.94% or 0.66 points to 70.93 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 0.68% or 0.95 points to trade at 139.10 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.61% or 0.71 points to end at 114.73 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 0.40% or 0.48 points to 120.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which rose 4.47% to 24.52, Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which was up 3.65% to settle at 49.92 and Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which gained 3.55% to close at 103.84.
The worst performers were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 2.98% to 30.56 in late trade, Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which lost 2.72% to settle at 57.17 and WEC Energy Group Inc (NYSE: WEC ) which was down 2.31% to 93.13 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which rose 47.67% to 3.48, Microbot Medical Inc (NASDAQ: MBOT ) which was up 44.08% to settle at 7.0600 and Superconductor Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SCON ) which gained 24.62% to close at 0.8100.
The worst performers were Domo Inc (NASDAQ: DOMO ) which was down 37.45% to 15.77 in late trade, Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CDMO ) which lost 22.98% to settle at 5.4300 and Paringa Resources Ltd (NASDAQ: PNRL ) which was down 20.00% to 2.40 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1632 to 1307 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1463 fell and 1188 advanced, while 99 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.81% to 15.00 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.67% or 10.20 to $1515.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.71% or 0.40 to hit $56.70 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.10% or 0.67 to trade at $61.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.03% to 1.1030, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 106.92.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.01% at 98.377.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.