Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Consumer Goods and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Financials , Technology and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 2.39% or 1.64 points to trade at 70.38 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.36% or 8.16 points to end at 353.41 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.58% or 2.25 points to 144.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 2.39% or 5.07 points to trade at 206.71 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 1.24% or 2.78 points to end at 221.07 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) shed 1.20% or 0.84 points to 69.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which rose 7.68% to 30.70, Discovery Communications C Inc (NASDAQ: DISCK ) which was up 7.18% to settle at 28.36 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which gained 7.01% to close at 32.210.
The worst performers were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 4.27% to 41.74 in late trade, SunTrust Banks Inc (NYSE: STI ) which lost 3.81% to settle at 71.38 and Comerica Inc (NYSE: CMA ) which was down 3.44% to 94.95 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which rose 68.80% to 0.2083, XBiotech Inc (NASDAQ: XBIT ) which was up 26.62% to settle at 2.92 and Aoxin Tianli Group Inc (NASDAQ: ABAC ) which gained 23.68% to close at 1.8799.
The worst performers were Vital Thera (NASDAQ: VTL ) which was down 92.86% to 0.45 in late trade, Netlist Inc (NASDAQ: NLST ) which lost 42.79% to settle at 0.369 and Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was down 28.49% to 0.311 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1708 to 1319 and 131 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1410 fell and 1149 advanced, while 150 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.61% to 13.14.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.77% or 9.30 to $1211.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 1.49% or 1.03 to hit $70.28 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.83% or 0.66 to trade at $79.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.20% to 1.1629, while USD/JPY fell 0.36% to 111.24.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 94.80.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.