The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which fell 0.33% or 0.48 points to trade at 145.43 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) fell 0.36% or 0.42 points to end at 115.49 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was down 0.59% or 0.29 points to 49.09 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 4.40% or 2.13 points to trade at 46.24 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 4.03% or 1.95 points to end at 46.44 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 4.00% or 4.37 points to 104.82.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL ) which rose 2.81% to 31.09, EQT Corporation (NYSE: EQT ) which was up 2.33% to settle at 18.41 and Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which gained 2.24% to close at 33.39.
The worst performers were Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was down 13.13% to 254.47 in late trade, Cooper Companies Inc (NYSE: COO ) which lost 12.28% to settle at 243.01 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 9.12% to 33.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Domo Inc (NASDAQ: DOMO ) which rose 30.52% to 20.40, Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which was up 24.47% to settle at 4.68 and Cronos Group Inc (NASDAQ: CRON ) which gained 21.72% to close at 12.7200.
The worst performers were Viveve Medical Inc (NASDAQ: VIVE ) which was down 27.42% to 1.3500 in late trade, United Natural Foods Inc (NASDAQ: UNFI ) which lost 24.58% to settle at 14.88 and Akorn Inc (NASDAQ: AKRX ) which was down 23.79% to 4.26 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2094 to 956 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1919 fell and 723 advanced, while 85 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 9.63% to 23.23 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.81% or 10.10 to $1253.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.59% or 0.82 to hit $52.31 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 2.26% or 1.36 to trade at $61.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.25% to 1.1406, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 112.68.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.18% at 96.590.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.