The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ), which rose 0.45% or 0.35 points to trade at 77.42 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.34% or 0.56 points to end at 163.33 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) was up 0.34% or 0.40 points to 119.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 2.23% or 7.46 points to trade at 327.37 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 2.19% or 4.96 points to end at 221.83 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) shed 1.78% or 1.17 points to 64.72.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which rose 6.58% to 14.41, Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc (NYSE: HLT ) which was up 6.05% to settle at 79.55 and Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which gained 4.49% to close at 146.74.
The worst performers were Fastenal Company (NASDAQ: FAST ) which was down 6.19% to 51.05 in late trade, WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which lost 4.41% to settle at 279.13 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 4.34% to 45.40 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Argos Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ARGS ) which rose 49.32% to 1.09, China Advanced Construction Materials (NASDAQ: CADC ) which was up 40.43% to settle at 3.300 and SemiLEDS Corporation (NASDAQ: LEDS ) which gained 39.07% to close at 5.9800.
The worst performers were Long Blockchain Corp (NASDAQ: LBCC ) which was down 37.14% to 1.10 in late trade, Rex Energy Corp (NASDAQ: REXX ) which lost 27.06% to settle at 0.5252 and Izea Inc (NASDAQ: IZEA ) which was down 21.64% to 1.8100 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1606 to 1510 and 50 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1269 fell and 1221 advanced, while 172 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.17% to 20.23.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.77% or 10.30 to $1356.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.94% or 1.27 to hit $66.78 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 1.28% or 0.91 to trade at $71.95 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.10% to 1.2367, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 106.83.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 89.23.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.