The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.51% or 0.66 points to trade at 44.23 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 0.31% or 0.15 points to end at 48.71 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.14% or 0.34 points to 242.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 4.19% or 5.74 points to trade at 131.33 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 2.87% or 2.33 points to end at 78.87 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.71% or 6.08 points to 348.80.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which rose 10.31% to 2.140, Range Resources Corp (NYSE: RRC ) which was up 4.21% to settle at 8.16 and Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which gained 3.57% to close at 51.00.
The worst performers were Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which was down 9.85% to 35.06 in late trade, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which lost 7.06% to settle at 22.64 and PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which was down 6.28% to 99.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Eltek Ltd (NASDAQ: ELTK ) which rose 326.83% to 7.000, Obalon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OBLN ) which was up 58.26% to settle at 1.13 and Soliton Inc (NASDAQ: SOLY ) which gained 42.62% to close at 20.2800.
The worst performers were TuanChe (NASDAQ: TC ) which was down 20.00% to 4.24 in late trade, Bridgeline Digital Inc (NASDAQ: BLIN ) which lost 18.05% to settle at 3.2700 and Hudson Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: HDSN ) which was down 16.42% to 1.680 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2031 to 962 and 94 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1809 fell and 842 advanced, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.29% to 17.90.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.15% or 1.95 to $1279.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.14% or 0.08 to hit $59.06 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $68.11 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.1135, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 109.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 98.065.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.