The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which rose 1.71% or 0.91 points to trade at 54.25 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 1.20% or 0.64 points to end at 53.94 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 0.64% or 0.88 points to 138.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 4.12% or 10.13 points to trade at 236.02 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 2.81% or 1.87 points to end at 64.74 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 2.41% or 4.46 points to 180.59.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which rose 3.85% to 33.47, PulteGroup Inc (NYSE: PHM ) which was up 3.52% to settle at 27.68 and Noble Energy Inc (NYSE: NBL ) which gained 3.50% to close at 23.63.
The worst performers were CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which was down 6.32% to 12.15 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 6.00% to settle at 27.74 and Anthem Inc (NYSE: ANTM ) which was down 4.90% to 292.59 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were JMU Ltd (NASDAQ: JMU ) which rose 173.68% to 2.600, Iconix Brand Group Inc (NASDAQ: ICON ) which was up 75.89% to settle at 0.33 and Ascendis Pharma AS (NASDAQ: ASND ) which gained 74.00% to close at 120.60.
The worst performers were Evoke Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: EVOK ) which was down 57.24% to 1.30 in late trade, Bio Path Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BPTH ) which lost 28.76% to settle at 5.500 and Atlas Financial Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AFH ) which was down 24.53% to 6.800 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1674 to 1319 and 108 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1625 fell and 1014 advanced, while 77 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.88% to 14.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.07% or 0.85 to $1288.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.04% or 0.02 to hit $56.47 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $65.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1339, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 111.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.09% at 96.535.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.