U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.53%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.53%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.84%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 1.46%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 1.23% or 4.62 points to trade at 381.65 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 0.66% or 0.78 points to end at 118.40 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.50% or 0.30 points to 60.51 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 2.73% or 1.31 points to trade at 46.60 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.67% or 5.71 points to end at 207.75 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 2.12% or 1.08 points to 49.82.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intuitive Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: ISRG ) which rose 2.56% to 541.46, ConAgra Foods Inc (NYSE: CAG ) which was up 2.28% to settle at 29.56 and Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which gained 2.27% to close at 14.89.
The worst performers were Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was down 6.72% to 12.22 in late trade, Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which lost 5.93% to settle at 40.76 and Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL ) which was down 5.43% to 19.49 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which rose 39.31% to 0.6500, Ovid Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OVID ) which was up 25.51% to settle at 3.10 and Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which gained 22.00% to close at 0.7930.
The worst performers were Pintec Technology Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: PT ) which was down 28.51% to 1.63 in late trade, Sienna Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SNNA ) which lost 22.47% to settle at 0.11 and Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which was down 20.07% to 2.23 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2028 to 867 and 79 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2123 fell and 545 advanced, while 64 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 14.35% to 17.05.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.51% or 7.75 to $1539.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 3.14% or 1.84 to hit $56.80 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $62.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.01% to 1.1017, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 107.06.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.29% at 97.938.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or