The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.37% or 2.34 points to trade at 172.99 at the close. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) added 1.07% or 1.15 points to end at 108.58 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.85% or 0.82 points to 97.83 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 2.72% or 3.00 points to trade at 107.22 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 2.36% or 1.05 points to end at 43.44 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 1.55% or 0.80 points to 50.92.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Delphi Automotive plc (NYSE: DLPH ) which rose 10.78% to 56.50, Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was up 3.28% to settle at 41.21 and eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which gained 3.11% to close at 36.81.
The worst performers were Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was down 12.78% to 70.00 in late trade, Robert Half International Inc (NYSE: RHI ) which lost 5.95% to settle at 53.29 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which was down 5.34% to 15.95 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Neuralstem Inc (NASDAQ: CUR ) which rose 175.89% to 3.0900, Biocept Inc (NASDAQ: BIOC ) which was up 66.67% to settle at 1.150 and Revance The (NASDAQ: RVNC ) which gained 33.65% to close at 34.75.
The worst performers were Galectin Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GALT ) which was down 30.65% to 1.720 in late trade, Pyxis Tankers Inc (NASDAQ: PXS ) which lost 26.65% to settle at 4.9000 and Spi Energy Co Ltd (NASDAQ: SPI ) which was down 24.32% to 0.67 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1981 to 1136 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1632 fell and 898 advanced, while 130 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.17% to 11.31.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.70% or 9.00 to $1268.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.35% or 0.20 to hit $57.67 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.74% or 0.46 to trade at $62.91 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.35% to 1.1825, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 112.57.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.25% at 93.28.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.