The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.41% or 3.07 points to trade at 221.08 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 0.90% or 0.76 points to end at 85.49 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 0.69% or 0.87 points to 126.16 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 2.88% or 4.04 points to trade at 136.06 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 2.52% or 1.19 points to end at 45.98 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 2.20% or 2.69 points to 119.33.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) which rose 5.95% to 196.25, News Corp B (NASDAQ: NWS ) which was up 5.31% to settle at 14.07 and News Corp A (NASDAQ: NWSA ) which gained 5.14% to close at 13.70.
The worst performers were DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 30.49% to 35.90 in late trade, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which lost 29.25% to settle at 20.92 and Kraft Heinz Co (NASDAQ: KHC ) which was down 6.09% to 26.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Arcadia Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: RKDA ) which rose 124.38% to 4.510, InnerWorkings Inc (NASDAQ: INWK ) which was up 58.45% to settle at 4.50 and Two Rivers Bancorp (NASDAQ: TRCB ) which gained 50.78% to close at 20.40.
The worst performers were ViewRay Inc (NASDAQ: VRAY ) which was down 54.01% to 3.100 in late trade, Waitr Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WTRH ) which lost 49.73% to settle at 1.89 and Exela Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: XELA ) which was down 47.76% to 1.28 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2006 to 992 and 23 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1765 fell and 897 advanced, while 74 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.27% to 17.97.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.08% or 1.15 to $1508.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.20% or 1.68 to hit $54.22 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 1.59% or 0.91 to trade at $58.29 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.20% to 1.1200, while USD/JPY fell 0.34% to 105.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 97.375.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.