The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which rose 1.77% or 0.43 points to trade at 24.75 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 0.65% or 1.50 points to end at 231.29 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 0.45% or 0.43 points to 95.03 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 1.86% or 1.76 points to trade at 92.64 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 1.72% or 2.68 points to end at 153.39 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 1.10% or 1.47 points to 131.75.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Anadarko Petroleum Corp (NYSE: APC ) which rose 8.21% to 48.49, SL Green Realty Corporation (NYSE: SLG ) which was up 3.49% to settle at 101.13 and Best Buy Co Inc (NYSE: BBY ) which gained 2.59% to close at 53.95.
The worst performers were Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which was down 7.06% to 9.08 in late trade, Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which lost 3.90% to settle at 16.00 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 3.64% to 5.83 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Akari Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: AKTX ) which rose 56.35% to 8.740, Rentech Inc (NASDAQ: RTK ) which was up 34.31% to settle at 0.460 and Gevo Inc (NASDAQ: GEVO ) which gained 33.88% to close at 0.8100.
The worst performers were Intercept Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ICPT ) which was down 24.89% to 73.70 in late trade, China Lending Corp (NASDAQ: CLDC ) which lost 19.55% to settle at 2.51 and PhaseRx Inc (NASDAQ: PZRX ) which was down 19.38% to 1.04 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1772 to 1304 and 152 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1319 fell and 1130 advanced, while 158 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.74% to 9.61.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.61% or 21.22 to $1295.18 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.06% or 0.03 to hit $50.72 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.34% or 0.19 to trade at $56.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.39% to 1.1940, while USD/JPY rose 0.27% to 112.53.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.25% at 91.99.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.