The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.69% or 0.78 points to trade at 47.04 at the close. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 0.92% or 0.90 points to end at 98.80 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 0.76% or 1.14 points to 150.91 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.36% or 3.54 points to trade at 256.48 in late trade. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) declined 1.24% or 1.41 points to end at 112.14 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 1.07% or 1.88 points to 174.54.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Darden Restaurants Inc (NYSE: DRI ) which rose 6.79% to 96.69, Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc (NYSE: ZBH ) which was up 6.07% to settle at 121.38 and Newfield Exploration Company (NYSE: NFX ) which gained 3.83% to close at 29.84.
The worst performers were PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL ) which was down 4.56% to 32.42 in late trade, Welltower Inc (NYSE: HCN ) which lost 4.25% to settle at 64.48 and Ventas Inc (NYSE: VTR ) which was down 3.98% to 61.83 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ChinaCache International Holdings (NASDAQ: CCIH ) which rose 196.12% to 3.05, Presbia PLC (NASDAQ: LENS ) which was up 79.54% to settle at 4.650 and Skypeople Fruit Juice Inc (NASDAQ: FTFT ) which gained 64.84% to close at 3.0000.
The worst performers were Akers Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: AKER ) which was down 65.35% to 0.142 in late trade, Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which lost 26.85% to settle at 1.090 and Yield10 Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: YTEN ) which was down 26.67% to 2.090 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1994 to 1101 and 141 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1595 fell and 921 advanced, while 140 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.83% to 9.99.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.03% or 0.40 to $1265.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.63% or 0.36 to hit $57.58 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.57% or 0.36 to trade at $63.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.48% to 1.1839, while USD/JPY rose 0.28% to 112.87.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.19% at 93.05.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.