The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 1.64% or 2.71 points to trade at 168.06 at the close. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) added 1.52% or 0.71 points to end at 47.43 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 1.48% or 1.73 points to 118.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which lost 5.89% or 1.12 points to trade at 17.90 in late trade. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) declined 2.15% or 1.51 points to end at 68.57 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 1.51% or 2.63 points to 171.34.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which rose 16.33% to 95.72, Envision Healthcare Corp (NYSE: EVHC ) which was up 10.29% to settle at 28.52 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which gained 5.10% to close at 18.54.
The worst performers were Newfield Exploration Company (NYSE: NFX ) which was down 7.07% to 29.82 in late trade, Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which lost 6.62% to settle at 17.35 and EQT Corporation (NYSE: EQT ) which was down 6.16% to 60.60 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were MoSys Inc (NASDAQ: MOSY ) which rose 112.42% to 1.4500, Veritone Inc (NASDAQ: VERI ) which was up 37.74% to settle at 28.98 and Ossen Innovation Co Ltd (NASDAQ: OSN ) which gained 34.76% to close at 2.8300.
The worst performers were root9B Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: RTNB ) which was down 40.16% to 0.3351 in late trade, Energy XXI Gulf Coast Inc (NASDAQ: EXXI ) which lost 34.25% to settle at 5.4900 and China Recycling Energy Corp (NASDAQ: CREG ) which was down 27.99% to 3.8600 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1880 to 1249 and 102 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1368 fell and 1153 advanced, while 122 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.70% to 11.58 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.15% or 1.94 to $1280.84 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 2.57% or 1.46 to hit $55.30 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 2.23% or 1.41 to trade at $61.75 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 1.08% to 1.1793, while USD/JPY fell 0.16% to 113.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.70% at 93.74.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.