The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 3.26% or 1.85 points to trade at 58.56 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 3.00% or 6.06 points to end at 207.90 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 2.88% or 3.20 points to 114.30 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 4.69% or 3.64 points to trade at 73.92 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 4.15% or 6.03 points to end at 139.11 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 2.54% or 1.04 points to 39.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM ) which rose 12.25% to 79.08, United Continental Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was up 4.78% to settle at 89.24 and Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU ) which gained 4.09% to close at 122.81.
The worst performers were Bank of New York Mellon (NYSE: BK ) which was down 9.52% to 48.35 in late trade, Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which lost 8.08% to settle at 125.87 and DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which was down 7.72% to 51.05 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ideal Power Inc (NASDAQ: IPWR ) which rose 100.49% to 0.821, Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which was up 50.26% to settle at 2.93 and Neovasc Inc (NASDAQ: NVCN ) which gained 31.16% to close at 0.540.
The worst performers were Up Fintech Holding Ltd (NASDAQ: TIGR ) which was down 27.59% to 15.93 in late trade, Workhorse Group Inc (NASDAQ: WKHS ) which lost 19.89% to settle at 0.5111 and Novan Inc (NASDAQ: NOVN ) which was down 20.63% to 0.65 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1784 to 1191 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1734 fell and 920 advanced, while 70 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.45% to 12.60.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.08% or 1.00 to $1276.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.47% or 0.30 to hit $63.75 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $71.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1296, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 112.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.00% at 96.648.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.