The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 6.14% or 2.73 points to trade at 47.22 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 5.46% or 6.64 points to end at 128.15 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 5.20% or 16.18 points to 327.08 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which added 0.25% or 0.14 points to trade at 56.36 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 0.62% or 0.58 points to end at 93.44 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) gained 1.17% or 2.77 points to 239.62.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which rose 12.30% to 10.41, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 11.44% to settle at 19.00 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which gained 9.72% to close at 297.57.
The worst performers were Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which was down 2.48% to 158.81 in late trade, KKR & Co LP (F: KR51 ) which lost 2.09% to settle at 16.43 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 1.51% to 25.40 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Phunware Inc (NASDAQ: PHUN ) which rose 102.09% to 54.06, Cancer Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: CGIX ) which was up 65.17% to settle at 0.440 and National American University (NASDAQ: NAUH ) which gained 42.06% to close at 0.270.
The worst performers were Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition Inc Class A (NASDAQ: RBZ ) which was down 31.22% to 1.30 in late trade, Endologix Inc (NASDAQ: ELGX ) which lost 15.54% to settle at 0.60 and Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which was down 14.71% to 1.63 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2768 to 316 and 63 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2335 rose and 334 declined, while 44 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 15.99% to 21.38.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.65% or 8.40 to $1286.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 2.42% or 1.14 to hit $48.23 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 2.41% or 1.35 to trade at $57.30 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.1399, while USD/JPY rose 0.77% to 108.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.13% at 95.755.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.