The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.72% or 1.24 points to trade at 46.84 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 2.50% or 6.07 points to end at 249.27 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 2.29% or 1.18 points to 52.72 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 0.57% or 0.20 points to trade at 35.19 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 0.02% or 0.03 points to end at 134.12 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 0.02% or 0.06 points to 332.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which rose 6.69% to 23.12, Best Buy Co Inc (NYSE: BBY ) which was up 6.47% to settle at 71.29 and Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which gained 4.84% to close at 44.17.
The worst performers were Southern Company (NYSE: SO ) which was down 2.47% to 57.23 in late trade, Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which lost 2.07% to settle at 16.99 and United Dominion Realty Trust Inc (NYSE: UDR ) which was down 1.97% to 46.55 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were MMTEC Inc (NASDAQ: MTC ) which rose 171.85% to 7.34, Golden Bull Ltd (NASDAQ: DNJR ) which was up 81.23% to settle at 1.02 and Deciphera Pharmaceuticals LLC (NASDAQ: DCPH ) which gained 79.95% to close at 35.90.
The worst performers were Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which was down 59.66% to 0.2400 in late trade, Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which lost 42.49% to settle at 0.2125 and Covetrus Inc (NASDAQ: CVET ) which was down 40.10% to 13.89 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2082 to 933 and 40 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1834 rose and 835 declined, while 93 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 16.60% to 17.59.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.32% or 4.85 to $1512.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.31% or 1.82 to hit $56.75 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $60.97 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1172, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 106.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.50% at 97.683.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.