The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 4.25% or 1.91 points to trade at 46.80 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 3.51% or 4.18 points to end at 123.28 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 2.69% or 1.90 points to 72.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which added 0.36% or 0.59 points to trade at 164.23 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 0.47% or 1.17 points to end at 247.62 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) gained 0.48% or 1.04 points to 217.87.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 16.20% to 33.92, Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which was up 12.30% to settle at 22.92 and Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which gained 8.71% to close at 73.48.
The worst performers were Kraft Heinz Co (NASDAQ: KHC ) which was down 8.58% to 28.22 in late trade, CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which lost 7.69% to settle at 10.69 and Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which was down 6.68% to 47.10 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Avedro Inc (NASDAQ: AVDR ) which rose 35.99% to 23.20, Alpha and Omega Semiconductor Ltd (NASDAQ: AOSL ) which was up 29.32% to settle at 11.38 and Clearside Biomedical Inc (NASDAQ: CLSD ) which gained 28.00% to close at 1.2800.
The worst performers were Clovis Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: CLVS ) which was down 35.01% to 5.83 in late trade, ICU Medical Inc (NASDAQ: ICUI ) which lost 33.26% to settle at 163.96 and Zovio Inc (NASDAQ: ZVO ) which was down 32.75% to 2.71 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2455 to 550 and 41 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1912 rose and 760 declined, while 76 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 13.24% to 16.91.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.46% or 7.05 to $1512.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.54% or 1.81 to hit $52.90 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $57.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.1192, while USD/JPY fell 0.27% to 105.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.13% at 97.468.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.