The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which rose 2.79% or 1.78 points to trade at 65.47 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.71% or 8.89 points to end at 336.33 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) was up 2.45% or 2.80 points to 117.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 1.13% or 0.41 points to trade at 35.72 in late trade. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) declined 0.32% or 0.25 points to end at 78.80 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.06% or 0.03 points to 54.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Navient Corp (NASDAQ: NAVI ) which rose 6.39% to 13.66, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 5.76% to settle at 16.80 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 5.67% to close at 3.075.
The worst performers were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 6.65% to 49.84 in late trade, Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which lost 3.30% to settle at 195.02 and Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which was down 2.88% to 15.190 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were LongFin Corp Class A (NASDAQ: LFIN ) which rose 64.86% to 19.14, Net Element Inc (NASDAQ: NETE ) which was up 32.98% to settle at 8.8700 and Westmoreland Coal Company (NASDAQ: WLB ) which gained 27.92% to close at 0.32.
The worst performers were Conatus Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CNAT ) which was down 31.45% to 4.120 in late trade, Check Cap Ltd (NASDAQ: CHEK ) which lost 22.79% to settle at 4.200 and Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which was down 18.37% to 3.51 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2209 to 899 and 51 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1495 rose and 1036 declined, while 129 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.73% to 18.91.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.78% or 10.40 to $1329.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.43% or 0.27 to hit $63.64 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.40 to trade at $68.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.32% to 1.2238, while USD/JPY rose 0.58% to 107.40.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.40% at 90.14.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.