The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which rose 2.60% or 3.29 points to trade at 130.05 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.34% or 3.06 points to end at 133.67 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 2.28% or 1.28 points to 57.41 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 0.96% or 2.39 points to trade at 247.80 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 0.91% or 0.78 points to end at 84.58 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 0.49% or 0.28 points to 57.35.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which rose 14.90% to 23.59, Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which was up 8.22% to settle at 57.01 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 7.92% to close at 1.975.
The worst performers were Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was down 7.63% to 48.81 in late trade, Alaska Air Group Inc (NYSE: ALK ) which lost 3.37% to settle at 60.74 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 3.19% to 32.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which rose 74.94% to 7.400, Aridis Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ARDS ) which was up 47.34% to settle at 10.80 and Arbutus Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: ABUS ) which gained 37.21% to close at 2.360.
The worst performers were Legacy Reserves Inc (NASDAQ: LGCY ) which was down 32.66% to 0.0532 in late trade, Pintec Technology Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: PT ) which lost 31.71% to settle at 2.80 and Estre USA Inc Class A (NASDAQ: ESTR ) which was down 27.88% to 1.19 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2187 to 843 and 16 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1450 rose and 1202 declined, while 106 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.93% to 14.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 3.22% or 43.40 to $1392.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 5.87% or 3.17 to hit $57.14 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.12% or 0.08 to trade at $64.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1292, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 107.28.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.44% at 96.153.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.