U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.87%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.87%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.07%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 1.74%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 3.57% or 8.23 points to trade at 238.55 at the close. General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) added 3.45% or 0.46 points to end at 13.79 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 2.98% or 1.29 points to 44.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.65% or 4.25 points to trade at 253.63 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.93% or 1.22 points to end at 130.54 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 0.55% or 0.20 points to 36.33.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which rose 9.19% to 336.06, Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which was up 4.32% to settle at 1503.83 and Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which gained 4.31% to close at 212.33.
The worst performers were Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA ) which was down 3.51% to 92.74 in late trade, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE: BMY ) which lost 3.14% to settle at 52.38 and Regions Financial Corporation (NYSE: RF ) which was down 2.82% to 17.95 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Valeritas Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: VLRX ) which rose 69.35% to 2.10, vTv Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTVT ) which was up 43.25% to settle at 1.19 and Discovery Communications B Inc (NASDAQ: DISCB ) which gained 27.54% to close at 44.000.
The worst performers were Netlist Inc (NASDAQ: NLST ) which was down 25.86% to 0.180 in late trade, Apellis Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: APLS ) which lost 16.60% to settle at 25.02 and Odyssey Marine Exploration Inc (NASDAQ: OMEX ) which was down 15.88% to 9.5900 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2224 to 845 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1700 rose and 847 declined, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.73% to 15.28 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.03% or 0.40 to $1350.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.35% or 0.23 to hit $66.45 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.15% or 0.11 to trade at $71.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.2375, while USD/JPY fell 0.08% to 107.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 89.19.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or