The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 2.40% or 2.00 points to trade at 85.26 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.14% or 7.62 points to end at 363.58 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.95% or 2.85 points to 149.07 in late trade.
Biggest losers included DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which lost 1.15% or 0.79 points to trade at 68.03 in late trade. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) declined 0.84% or 0.39 points to end at 45.93 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 0.57% or 0.31 points to 54.39.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which rose 5.65% to 38.49, Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was up 4.94% to settle at 367.65 and Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP ) which gained 4.46% to close at 163.70.
The worst performers were General Mills Inc (NYSE: GIS ) which was down 7.62% to 44.13 in late trade, FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which lost 5.53% to settle at 241.58 and Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc (NYSE: MMC ) which was down 4.01% to 83.16 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Realm Therapeutics PLC ADR (NASDAQ: RLM ) which rose 77.78% to 6.40, Viking Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VKTX ) which was up 87.30% to settle at 19.460 and Vital Thera (NASDAQ: VTL ) which gained 70.09% to close at 0.43.
The worst performers were SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was down 26.17% to 5.980 in late trade, Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (NASDAQ: HMNY ) which lost 20.00% to settle at 0.012 and China Internet Nationwide Financial Services Inc (NASDAQ: CIFS ) which was down 19.64% to 9.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1719 to 1331 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1469 rose and 1095 declined, while 149 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.56% to 12.92.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.23% or 2.80 to $1203.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 1.51% or 1.04 to hit $69.72 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.28% or 1.00 to trade at $79.05 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.10% to 1.1671, while USD/JPY rose 0.41% to 112.34.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.13% at 94.21.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.