The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 3.99% or 4.29 points to trade at 111.80 at the close. General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) added 3.04% or 0.53 points to end at 17.98 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) was up 1.91% or 2.39 points to 127.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 2.70% or 3.66 points to trade at 131.98 in late trade. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) declined 1.34% or 1.23 points to end at 90.65 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 0.79% or 1.50 points to 188.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 6.81% to 10.980, Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was up 6.53% to settle at 100.89 and Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which gained 6.42% to close at 106.09.
The worst performers were VeriSign Inc (NASDAQ: VRSN ) which was down 4.36% to 109.45 in late trade, XL Group Ltd (NYSE: XL ) which lost 3.24% to settle at 34.02 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) which was down 2.70% to 131.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AquaBounty Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AQB ) which rose 152.56% to 8.890, Midatech Pharma PLC (NASDAQ: MTP ) which was up 75.00% to settle at 1.470 and Chanticleer Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BURG ) which gained 42.53% to close at 3.7200.
The worst performers were Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which was down 29.77% to 2.170 in late trade, Technical Communications (NASDAQ: TCCO ) which lost 19.65% to settle at 9.200 and Merus BV (NASDAQ: MRUS ) which was down 15.34% to 16.39 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1982 to 1159 and 82 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1695 rose and 862 declined, while 100 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 11.50% to 9.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.77% or 10.10 to $1319.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.07% or 0.04 to hit $60.38 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.46% or 0.31 to trade at $66.56 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.44% to 1.2059, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 112.28.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.47% at 91.56.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.