The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 1.94% or 4.62 points to trade at 242.90 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.21% or 1.01 points to end at 84.39 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) was up 1.01% or 0.36 points to 35.86 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 0.95% or 1.25 points to trade at 130.00 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.93% or 1.18 points to end at 126.06 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 0.50% or 0.23 points to 45.70.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which rose 9.63% to 21.40, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was up 7.14% to settle at 3.600 and News Corp B (NASDAQ: NWS ) which gained 4.84% to close at 16.25.
The worst performers were Viacom B Inc (NASDAQ: VIAB ) which was down 4.90% to 28.74 in late trade, Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which lost 4.64% to settle at 14.19 and Red Hat Inc (NYSE: RHT ) which was down 4.48% to 164.75 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which rose 77.44% to 11.80, Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which was up 61.83% to settle at 18.95 and ProPhase Labs Inc (NASDAQ: PRPH ) which gained 26.76% to close at 5.210.
The worst performers were Ominto Inc (NASDAQ: OMNT ) which was down 55.13% to 1.1800 in late trade, aTyr Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: LIFE ) which lost 32.61% to settle at 1.550 and DHX Media Ltd (NASDAQ: DHXM ) which was down 19.70% to 2.65 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1640 to 1428 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1402 fell and 1147 advanced, while 116 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.21% to 12.93.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.54% or 7.10 to $1313.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.57% or 0.40 to hit $71.10 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.71% or 1.32 to trade at $78.44 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1936, while USD/JPY rose 0.22% to 109.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 92.50.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.