UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 28
(Adds company news items and futures)
Jan 28 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening 22 points lower at 6,787 on Monday, according to financial bookmakers, with FTSE 100 futures .FFIc1 down 0.36 percent ahead of the cash market open.
* PARAGON BANKING: Paragon Banking Group PARA.L reported a slight increase in common equity tier 1 ratio - a closely watched measure of balance sheet strength - and a jump in new lending during the first quarter as demand from professional landlords surged. STHREE: Recruiter SThree Plc STHR.L posted a 20 percent rise in full-year pretax profit on Monday as strong international hiring offset declines in Britain. FLYBE: Flybe Group plc FLYB.L confirmed on Monday its largest shareholder has urged the airline to remove Chairman Simon Laffin and investigate the company's cut-price sale to a consortium. Tesco: Tesco TSCO.L , Britain's biggest supermarket chain, may cut thousands of jobs by closing in-store meat, fish and delicatessen counters and by replacing staff canteens with vending machines, the Mail on Sunday newspaper reported, citing industry sources. VODAFONE: Vodafone VOD.L , the world's second-largest mobile operator, said it was "pausing" the deployment of Huawei HWT.UL equipment in its core networks until Western governments give the Chinese firm full security clearance. ROYAL DUTCH SHELL: The United Steelworkers union said on Friday Shell Oil Co RDSa.L is delaying progress on important issues in negotiations for a new national agreement covering 30,000 U.S. refinery and chemical workers, according to sources familiar with the talks. GOLD: Gold prices held steady on Monday, near a seven-month peak scaled in previous session, on hopes the U.S. Federal Reserve will keep interest rates unchanged during its two-day policy meeting later in the week. OIL: Oil prices fell on Monday after U.S. energy firms added rigs for the first time this year in a sign that crude production there may rise further, and as China, the world's second-largest oil user, reported additional signs of an economic slowdown. The UK blue chip index closed 0.14 percent down at 6809.22 on Friday, as Vodafone tumbled and a stronger pound weighed on exporter stocks. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on LIVE/
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
PRESS/GB Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra
: visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : http://topnews.reuters.com
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or