UPDATE 1-India's MMTC again postpones tender to buy corn - trade
(Adds details and quote)
HAMBURG, June 20 (Reuters) - Indian state-run trading company MMTC MMTC.NS has for the sixth time postponed the deadline for offer submissions in an international tender to import yellow corn, this time until June 25, European traders said on Thursday.
The deadline for offers was originally May 8 and had been postponed to May 15, then to May 22, June 6, June 12 and later to June 19.
The tender seeks corn (maize) free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
"Some Asian importers seem to have been surprised by the sharp rise in corn prices in past weeks and are hoping the recent weakness will continue," one European trader said. "But the number of postponements in this tender is raising eyebrows."
U.S. corn futures fell about 2% on Wednesday, dropping for a second straight session as investors booked profits after five-year highs set this week. GRA/
The volume purchased in the tender will be decided by MMTC depending on the level of prices received.
Traders are being asked to submit offers for at least 24,000 tonnes.
The MMTC is now asking for offers of corn for shipment between July 1 and Aug. 20.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or