Jan 9 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening up 11 points on Tuesday, according to financial bookmakers.
* SHIRE: Shire SHP.L ditched its revenue target of $20 billion by 2020 on Monday due to increased generic competition and new drugs from rivals, saying it would split its rare disease and hyperactivity medicines businesses to boost performance. PSA JOBS: Peugeot-maker PSA PEUP.PA will cut a further 250 jobs at its Vauxhall car plant in the north of England, reducing the workforce by a third as part of efforts to make the plant more efficient by reducing its output to one shift. SHELL: Seventeen men have been arrested and millions of dollars in cash seized as part of an investigation into a suspected oil theft at Shell's RDSa.L biggest refinery, Singapore police said on Tuesday. UK RETAIL: Inflation-squeezed British shoppers cut back on almost everything other than food in the last three months of 2017, leading to the biggest fall in non-grocery spending since 2009, industry figures showed on Tuesday. UK JOBS: British companies hired permanent staff last month at the fastest rate since August, pushing up starting salaries, recruiters said on Tuesday. OIL: U.S. oil prices hit their highest since 2015 again on Tuesday as speculators bet on further price rises amid OPEC-led production cuts and a dip in American drilling activity, though some warned the rally could run out of steam. The UK blue chip index closed 0.4 percent lower at 7,696.51 on Monday, as small-cap Mothercare sank by a third after a profit warning, while software firm Micro Focus dropped nearly 17 percent after cutting guidance. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY: WM Morrison
Christmas Trading Statement Supermarkets PLC
Release Persimmon PLC
Full Year 2017 Trading
Statement Release Topps Tiles PLC
Q1 2018 Trading Statement
Release Games Workshop Group
Half Year 2018 Earnings PLC
Release Ilika PLC
Half Year 2018 Earnings
Release SIG PLC
Full Year 2017 Trading
Statement Release Majestic Wine PLC
WINEW.L Christmas Trading Update Stock Spirits Group
Pre-close Trading Statement PLC
Release Ferrexpo Plc
Q4 2017 Production Volume Safestore Holdings
Preliminary Annual Results Plc
Announcement Robert Walters Plc
Q4 2017 Trading Update
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
PRESS/GB Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra
: visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : http://topnews.reuters.com
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.