U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.29%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Technology and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Financials , Oil & Gas and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.29%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.16%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.36%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.69% or 2.88 points to trade at 109.99 at the close. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) added 2.16% or 1.70 points to end at 80.10 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 1.46% or 1.43 points to 99.13 in late trade.
Biggest losers included JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which lost 2.48% or 1.97 points to trade at 77.39 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.39% or 5.04 points to end at 206.15 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.60% or 1.02 points to 62.63.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT ) which rose 6.40% to 76.01, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was up 6.31% to settle at 91.63 and TJX Companies Inc (NYSE: TJX ) which gained 3.97% to close at 76.41.
The worst performers were Mallinckrodt (NYSE: MNK ) which was down 12.07% to 59.62 in late trade, H&R Block Inc (NYSE: HRB ) which lost 7.01% to settle at 22.23 and Regions Financial Corporation (NYSE: RF ) which was down 4.66% to 12.90 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Globus Maritime Ltd (NASDAQ: GLBS ) which rose 188.06% to 14.2300, China Natural Resources Inc (NASDAQ: CHNR ) which was up 183.24% to settle at 4.9000 and Sino-Global Shipping America Ltd (NASDAQ: SINO ) which gained 178.10% to close at 6.7300.
The worst performers were Akers Biosc (NASDAQ: AKER ) which was down 22.41% to 2.250 in late trade, Endologix Inc (NASDAQ: ELGX ) which lost 20.53% to settle at 7.82 and PDL BioPharma Inc (NASDAQ: PDLI ) which was down 18.01% to 3.050 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1586 to 1574 and 91 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1342 rose and 1138 declined, while 143 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.77% to 13.74.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was up 0.03% or 0.35 to $1224.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.81% or 0.37 to hit $45.44 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.06% or 0.50 to trade at $46.45 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.34% to 1.0688, while USD/JPY fell 0.10% to 109.08.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.19% at 100.39.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or