The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 0.19% or 0.17 points to trade at 87.93 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 0.15% or 0.17 points to end at 112.88 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was down 0.06% or 0.05 points to 82.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 2.17% or 3.59 points to trade at 161.54 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 2.14% or 1.44 points to end at 65.81 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 1.81% or 2.31 points to 125.48.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which rose 4.62% to 9.52, Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc (NYSE: DO ) which was up 2.82% to settle at 16.07 and Murphy Oil Corporation (NYSE: MUR ) which gained 2.19% to close at 26.65.
The worst performers were Mallinckrodt (NYSE: MNK ) which was down 6.83% to 71.10 in late trade, Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which lost 5.99% to settle at 21.99 and Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE: KORS ) which was down 4.99% to 47.99 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Array BioPharma Inc (NASDAQ: ARRY ) which rose 81.10% to 6.610, Real Goods Solar Inc (NASDAQ: RGSE ) which was up 32.50% to settle at 2.6500 and Lombard Medical Inc (NASDAQ: EVAR ) which gained 29.40% to close at 1.1000.
The worst performers were Pain Therapeutics (NASDAQ: PTIE ) which was down 51.28% to 1.330 in late trade, Durect Corporation (NASDAQ: DRRX ) which lost 31.76% to settle at 1.160 and Retailmenot (NASDAQ: SALE ) which was down 20.85% to 8.92 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2244 to 919 and 84 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1865 fell and 672 advanced, while 89 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 17.66% to 14.46.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.05% or 0.70 to $1341.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.45% or 1.09 to hit $45.57 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 2.24% or 1.04 to trade at $47.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.23% to 1.1253, while USD/JPY fell 0.65% to 100.31.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.22% at 95.20.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.