The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 0.58% or 1.38 points to trade at 239.93 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.31% or 0.23 points to end at 74.07 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 0.19% or 0.20 points to 104.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.37% or 2.28 points to trade at 93.74 in late trade. Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ) declined 2.16% or 2.00 points to end at 90.58 and Boeing Company (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.40% or 2.19 points to 154.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which rose 5.79% to 96.45, Twenty-First Century Fox A Inc (NASDAQ: FOXA ) which was up 3.62% to settle at 28.02 and Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which gained 3.19% to close at 113.52.
The worst performers were Universal Health Services Inc (NYSE: UHS ) which was down 6.83% to 101.55 in late trade, Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which lost 6.47% to settle at 31.68 and Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which was down 5.02% to 14.58 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Vericel Corp Ord (NASDAQ: VCEL ) which rose 57.69% to 4.100, ESSA Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: EPIX ) which was up 21.63% to settle at 2.530 and Brainstorm Cell Therapuetics Inc (NASDAQ: BCLI ) which gained 21.86% to close at 2.6200.
The worst performers were First NBC Bank Holding Company (NASDAQ: FNBC ) which was down 25.00% to 7.20 in late trade, Merus Labs International Inc (NASDAQ: MSLI ) which lost 20.32% to settle at 0.829 and Delta Technology Holding Ltd (NASDAQ: DELT ) which was down 18.69% to 0.8700 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2577 to 666 and 28 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1843 fell and 694 advanced, while 86 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.01% to 13.23.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 1.29% or 15.00 to $1144.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 3.94% or 2.09 to hit $50.89 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 3.43% or 1.91 to trade at $53.81 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.88% to 1.0531, while USD/JPY rose 1.59% to 117.02.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.97% at 102.06.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.