The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.95% or 3.24 points to trade at 169.46 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 0.84% or 0.56 points to end at 67.51 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 0.73% or 0.84 points to 115.36 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Company (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.58% or 2.10 points to trade at 130.80 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 1.06% or 0.62 points to end at 58.01 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.84% or 0.74 points to 87.56.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which rose 8.94% to 30.45, United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE: UAL ) which was up 8.63% to settle at 51.00 and CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which gained 4.84% to close at 26.19.
The worst performers were Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY ) which was down 10.75% to 99.66 in late trade, Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which lost 5.62% to settle at 38.61 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 4.32% to 25.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Skyline Medical Inc (NASDAQ: SKLN ) which rose 105.24% to 0.1644, Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RIGL ) which was up 48.86% to settle at 3.930 and Karyopharm Thera (NASDAQ: KPTI ) which gained 36.66% to close at 9.73.
The worst performers were Lime Energy Co (NASDAQ: LIME ) which was down 21.15% to 1.640 in late trade, G-III Apparel Group Ltd (NASDAQ: GIII ) which lost 20.66% to settle at 33.14 and Intercloud (NASDAQ: ICLD ) which was down 20.00% to 0.2800 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1658 to 1466 and 128 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1295 rose and 1197 declined, while 131 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.93% to 13.06.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.98% or 12.95 to $1314.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 1.19% or 0.56 to hit $46.42 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.23% or 0.61 to trade at $48.84 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.40% to 1.1143, while USD/JPY rose 1.11% to 103.05.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.54% at 96.05.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.