The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 1.35% or 1.19 points to trade at 88.98 at the close. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) added 1.10% or 1.02 points to end at 93.41 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 1.00% or 1.02 points to 102.98 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 0.44% or 0.15 points to trade at 34.13 in late trade. EI du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE: DD ) declined 0.22% or 0.15 points to end at 66.85 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) 0.00% or 0.00 points to 83.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY ) which rose 5.74% to 32.08, Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which was up 5.58% to settle at 9.65 and Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which gained 4.82% to close at 4.33.
The worst performers were Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 2.38% to 14.33 in late trade, Level 3 Communications Inc (NYSE: LVLT ) which lost 2.09% to settle at 47.40 and Kohl’s Corporation (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 1.87% to 43.51 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hutchinson Technology Incorporated (NASDAQ: HTCH ) which rose 166.44% to 3.970, SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was up 36.81% to settle at 9.440 and Anavex Life Sciences Corp (NASDAQ: AVXL ) which gained 25.67% to close at 3.280.
The worst performers were Great Basin Scientific Inc (NASDAQ: GBSN ) which was down 13.16% to 2.9700 in late trade, Leading Brands Inc (NASDAQ: LBIX ) which lost 12.72% to settle at 1.990 and Northwest Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: NWBO ) which was down 12.37% to 0.552 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2587 to 604 and 61 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1797 rose and 697 declined, while 126 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.40% to 12.05.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was up 0.71% or 9.45 to $1340.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 1.72% or 0.78 to hit $46.12 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.49% or 0.70 to trade at $47.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.1205, while USD/JPY rose 0.48% to 100.79.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.13% at 95.34.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.