The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were E I du Pont de Nemours & Co (NYSE: DD ), which rose 1.61% or 1.35 points to trade at 85.35 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.27% or 2.64 points to end at 210.88 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.25% or 2.34 points to 189.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 4.20% or 6.47 points to trade at 147.53 in late trade. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.43% or 0.33 points to end at 75.87 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 0.20% or 0.44 points to 222.87.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which rose 20.88% to 159.76, Scripps Networks Interactive Inc (NASDAQ: SNI ) which was up 14.73% to settle at 76.89 and Murphy Oil Corporation (NYSE: MUR ) which gained 6.73% to close at 26.33.
The worst performers were Northern Trust Corporation (NASDAQ: NTRS ) which was down 8.38% to 89.21 in late trade, WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which lost 7.04% to settle at 162.19 and Navient Corp (NASDAQ: NAVI ) which was down 6.83% to 15.28 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which rose 129.41% to 2.340, Lianluo Smart Ltd (NASDAQ: LLIT ) which was up 24.79% to settle at 1.460 and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which gained 20.88% to close at 159.76.
The worst performers were Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CYCC ) which was down 40.48% to 1.7500 in late trade, DryShips Inc (NASDAQ: DRYS ) which lost 39.84% to settle at 0.50 and Spherix Incorporated (NASDAQ: SPEX ) which was down 27.34% to 1.9400 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2271 to 849 and 135 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1627 rose and 862 declined, while 149 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.81% to 9.81.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.11% or 1.31 to $1240.59 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.55% or 0.72 to hit $47.12 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 1.74% or 0.85 to trade at $49.69 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.34% to 1.1515, while USD/JPY fell 0.21% to 111.84.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 94.62.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.