The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were EI du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE: DD ), which rose 1.51% or 0.99 points to trade at 66.40 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.93% or 0.75 points to end at 81.79 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 0.64% or 0.42 points to 65.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.40% or 1.40 points to trade at 98.46 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.92% or 0.47 points to end at 50.43 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) shed 0.80% or 1.23 points to 152.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE: KORS ) which rose 6.59% to 45.55, Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which was up 5.12% to settle at 16.62 and Whole Foods Market Inc (NASDAQ: WFM ) which gained 4.92% to close at 33.94.
The worst performers were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was down 4.33% to 10.60 in late trade, Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR ) which lost 4.10% to settle at 66.37 and Under Armour Inc (NYSE: UA ) which was down 3.92% to 36.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ocean Power Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: OPTT ) which rose 294.77% to 6.040, SemiLEDS Corporation (NASDAQ: LEDS ) which was up 69.06% to settle at 2.3500 and Hercules Offshore Inc (NASDAQ: HERO ) which gained 37.72% to close at 1.5700.
The worst performers were Daktronics Inc (NASDAQ: DAKT ) which was down 19.57% to 6.41 in late trade, Cymabay Therapeu (NASDAQ: CBAY ) which lost 18.85% to settle at 1.980 and BOS Better Online Solutions (NASDAQ: BOSC ) which was down 17.94% to 3.340 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2162 to 1143 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1597 rose and 969 declined, while 65 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.07% to 14.20.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was down 0.23% or 2.75 to $1214.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.20% or 0.10 to hit $49.20 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.03 to trade at $49.92 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.49% to 1.1187, while USD/JPY fell 1.05% to 109.54.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.44% at 95.41.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.