The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 1.70% or 1.62 points to trade at 97.14 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 0.80% or 0.96 points to end at 121.11 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 0.73% or 1.08 points to 148.21 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 0.91% or 0.57 points to trade at 62.55 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 0.72% or 1.29 points to end at 177.56 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.64% or 0.23 points to 35.80.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Whole Foods Market Inc (NASDAQ: WFM ) which rose 9.98% to 34.17, First Solar Inc (NASDAQ: FSLR ) which was up 4.33% to settle at 27.97 and Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which gained 3.99% to close at 49.97.
The worst performers were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 3.09% to 27.64 in late trade, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which lost 2.55% to settle at 97.77 and Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was down 2.31% to 136.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SITO Mobile Ltd (NASDAQ: SITO ) which rose 47.87% to 3.120, SemiLEDS Corporation (NASDAQ: LEDS ) which was up 30.03% to settle at 4.3300 and Cytori Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CYTX ) which gained 25.55% to close at 1.7200.
The worst performers were Oncomed Pha (NASDAQ: OMED ) which was down 36.64% to 5.55 in late trade, Ability Inc (NASDAQ: ABIL ) which lost 21.47% to settle at 1.39 and China Cmrcl (NASDAQ: CCCR ) which was down 18.64% to 1.9200 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2116 to 1078 and 60 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1315 fell and 1162 advanced, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 9.25% to 14.06 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.19% or 2.35 to $1254.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.68% or 0.88 to hit $53.12 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 1.39% or 0.77 to trade at $56.01 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.0589, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 111.08.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 101.01.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.