MUMBAI, April 11 (Reuters) - Indian metals and mining group Vedanta Limited VDAN.NS said on Tuesday it had completed its buyout of oil and gas explorer Cairn India Ltd CAIL.NS , consummating a deal that was delayed for months by investor opposition.
Cairn India said in a separate statement its board had made the merger effective as of Tuesday.
The deal gives Vedanta Limited, the Indian unit of diversified energy group Vedanta Resources PLC VED.L , access to Cairn's $3.5 billion cash pile, boosting its finances.
It was delayed due to opposition from some big minority shareholders, leading Vedanta to sweeten the offer last August. merger will increase the appeal of Vedanta Ltd to global investors as it simplifies the structure and increases the size and free float of the company," Vedanta Limited's Chief Executive Tom Albanese said in a statement.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.