* Nikkei ends up 2.12%, brushes highest level since Aug. 2
* Beijing, Washington to hold trade talks, boosts risk sentiment
By Tomo Uetake
TOKYO, Sept 5 (Reuters) - Japanese shares closed at their highest in more than a month on Thursday as investors cheered the announcement that U.S.-China trade talks will resume and news from Britain and Hong Kong that also improved risk appetites.
The benchmark Nikkei average .N225 ended the day up 2.12% at 21,085.94, the highest close since Aug. 2. During the day, it touched 21,164.61, also a peak since Aug. 2.
On the Nikkei index, there were 207 advancers and 18 decliners.
Japanese shares were boosted after Beijing said China and the United States agreed to hold trade talks in Washington in early October. market was already on a solid footing after Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on Wednesday withdrew an extradition bill that triggered months of sometimes violent protests and as British lawmakers voted to prevent a no-deal Brexit on Oct. 31. was a variety of positive factors for the market, with the news of Sino-U.S. trade negotiations having a notably big impact," said Hiroaki Kuramochi, chief market analyst at Capital Partners Securities.
All of the Tokyo Stock Exchange's 33 subsectors were in positive territory as the market attracted hefty purchases across the board.
The broader Topix .TOPX added 1.84% to 1,534.46.
Other notable movers included the TSE REIT index .TREIT , edging up 0.44% to a fresh 12-year high. service provider M3 Inc 2413.T soared 10% and baseball stadium operator Tokyo Dome Corp 9681.T fell 8.4% after index provider Nikkei announced it will drop the latter from the Nikkei 225 share average and replace it with the former, from Oct 1.
Nissan Motor Co 7201.T gained 2% despite media reports quoting its chief executive as admitting to improperly receiving stock-related compensation, in the latest case of financial misconduct among executives at Japan's second-largest automaker. stocks that gained the most among the top 30 core Topix names were Hitachi Ltd 6501.T which gained 5.1%, followed by Shin-Etsu Chemical Co's 4063.T 4.7% rise.
The volume of shares traded on Topix was 1.35 billion, compared to the average 1.1 billion yen in the past 30 days.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.