* Nikkei up 0.91 pct, Topix gains 0.4 pct
* Exporters lifted as yen weakens for 3rd day vs dollar
* Gains by U.S. peers lift tech shares
By Shinichi Saoshiro
TOKYO, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Japanese stocks rose on Tuesday, with exporters lifted by the yen's weakening against the dollar and technology shares taking heart from gains in their American peers.
The Nikkei share average .N225 was 0.91 percent higher at 22,575.43.
During morning trade the index briefly touched 22,614.87, its highest since Sept. 5.
"The yen's depreciation is the key driver, with gains by the S&P 500 and Nasdaq providing additional support," said Yutaka Miura, senior technical analyst at Mizuho Securities.
"Trade friction remains a concern, but the United States is yet to activate the tariffs on 200 billion dollars worth of Chinese imports, allowing for some short covering to kick in and lift the Nikkei."
The yen JPY= slipped against the dollar for the third day, lifting exporters.
Technology shares climbed as their U.S. counterparts bounced overnight following last week's large losses, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq .IXIC climbing 0.3 percent.
Renesas Electronics Corp 6723.T was up 5.7 percent after the company said on Tuesday it had agreed to buy U.S. peer Integrated Device Technology Inc IDTI.O for about $6.7 billion, aiming to boost its expertise in self-driving car technologies. nL3N1VX1I4
Shares of Kaga Electronics Co 8154.T rose 5.5 percent after the semiconductor manufacturer announced that it would buy Fujitsu Electronics from Fujitsu Semiconductor for 20.54 billion yen ($184 million). Inc 6387.T , a manufacturer of equipment used to make electronic components, gained 5.1 percent after reporting strong earnings, with sales for the year through July 2018 surging 74.9 percent from the previous year to 5.47 billion yen. Textile co 3501.T rose 6.1 percent after the company said it will repurchase 500,000 shares, or 6.6 percent of outstanding stock. Tokyo's 33 sub-indexes, 25 were in positive territory.
The broader Topix .TOPX added 0.4 percent to 1,694.41. ($1 = 111.4300 yen)
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.