At the close in Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 lost 2.13% to hit a new 1-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nikkei 225 were Unitika, Ltd. (T: 3103 ), which rose 1.98% or 2.0 points to trade at 103.0 at the close. Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd. (T: 5232 ) added 0.84% or 4.0 points to end at 480.0 and The Kansai Electric Power Co. (T: 9503 ) was up 0.65% or 8.0 points to 1238.5 in late trade.
Biggest losers included T&D Holdings, Inc. (T: 8795 ), which lost 7.20% or 127.5 points to trade at 1644.5 in late trade. The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co. (T: 8750 ) declined 6.24% or 136.8 points to end at 2056.5 and Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd. (T: 6302 ) shed 5.30% or 45.0 points to 804.0.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2873 to 326 and 169 ended unchanged on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
The Nikkei Volatility , which measures the implied volatility of Nikkei 225 options, was up 6.63% to 15.59.
In commodities trading, Crude oil for May delivery was down 0.37% or 0.18 to $48.06 a barrel. Meanwhile, Brent oil for delivery in May fell 0.35% or 0.18 to hit $50.78 a barrel, while the April Gold Futures contract rose 0.05% or 0.65 to trade at $1247.15 a troy ounce.
USD/JPY was down 0.13% to 111.58, while EUR/JPY fell 0.21% to 120.51.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 99.59.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.