At the close in Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 lost 1.11% to hit a new 52-week low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nikkei 225 were TDK Corp (T: 6762 ), which rose 4.12% or 300.0 points to trade at 7590.0 at the close. Advantest Corp. (T: 6857 ) added 1.94% or 41.0 points to end at 2153.0 and Tokyo Electron Ltd. (T: 8035 ) was up 1.70% or 210.0 points to 12570.0 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Familymart Ltd (T: 8028 ), which lost 6.31% or 1000.0 points to trade at 14860.0 in late trade. Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd. (T: 5301 ) declined 5.48% or 75.0 points to end at 1293.0 and Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd. (T: 9107 ) shed 5.29% or 75.0 points to 1343.0.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 3245 to 443 and 74 ended unchanged on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
The Nikkei Volatility , which measures the implied volatility of Nikkei 225 options, was up 12.57% to 25.97 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Crude oil for February delivery was up 1.11% or 0.51 to $46.39 a barrel. Meanwhile, Brent oil for delivery in February rose 0.90% or 0.49 to hit $54.84 a barrel, while the February Gold Futures contract fell 0.22% or 2.80 to trade at $1265.10 a troy ounce.
USD/JPY was down 0.17% to 111.09, while EUR/JPY fell 0.02% to 127.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 95.762.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.