The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Hero MotoCorp Limited (NSE: HROM ), which rose 3.45% or 82.15 points to trade at 2466.40 at the close. Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (NSE: REDY ) added 3.25% or 109.20 points to end at 3468.90 and Cipla Ltd. (NSE: CIPL ) was down 0.30% or 2.00 points to 664.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bank Of Baroda (NSE: BOB ), which fell 6.66% or 11.30 points to trade at 158.40 in late trade. TATA STEEL LIMITED (NSE: TISC ) declined 6.23% or 23.50 points to end at 353.60 and Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) down 5.67% or 11.90 points to 198.05.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (BO: REDY ) which rose 3.31% to 3473.50, Hero MotoCorp Limited (BO: HROM ) which was up 3.18% to settle at 2459.90 and Cipla Ltd. (BO: CIPL ) which lost 0.20% to close at 664.00.
The worst performers were TATA STEEL LIMITED (BO: TISC ) which was down 6.29% to 353.15 in late trade, Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which lost 5.07% to settle at 222.65 and Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which was down 4.98% to 218.40 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 1164 to 260 and 10 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 574 fell and 114 advanced, while 2 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) fell to 5-year lows; down 5.67% or 11.90 to 198.05.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 10.31% to 20.5450 a new 1-month high.
Gold for June delivery was up 0.87% or 10.30 to $1193.30 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.88% or 1.11 to hit $60.37 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 2.05% or 1.34 to trade at $66.97 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.79% at 94.36.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.