The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. (NSE: ZEE ), which rose 2.25% or 7.20 points to trade at 327.45 at the close. Lupin Ltd (NSE: LUPN ) added 0.49% or 8.70 points to end at 1800.75 and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NSE: BRTI ) was up 0.36% or 1.50 points to 418.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included AXIS Bank Ltd. (NSE: AXBK ), which fell 4.38% or 25.35 points to trade at 553.10 in late trade. State Bank Of India (NSE: SBI ) declined 4.30% or 11.95 points to end at 266.25 and IndusInd Bank Ltd. (NSE: INBK ) down 4.05% or 35.80 points to 847.15.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharti Airtel Ltd. (BO: BRTI ) which rose 0.40% to 417.95, Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which was down 0.29% to settle at 898.70 and Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which lost 0.47% to close at 387.90.
The worst performers were State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which was down 4.28% to 266.25 in late trade, AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which lost 4.20% to settle at 554.15 and Hindalco Industries Ltd. (BO: HALC ) which was down 3.97% to 123.30 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 1135 to 275 and 5 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 617 fell and 108 advanced, while 3 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Hindalco Industries Ltd. (BO: HALC ) fell to 52-week lows; down 3.97% or 5.10 to 123.30.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 0.55% to 16.8200.
Gold for August delivery was up 0.18% or 2.10 to $1190.80 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.00% or 0.60 to hit $60.80 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.74% or 0.48 to trade at $65.36 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.60% at 96.94.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.