The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Vedanta Ltd (NSE: VDAN ), which rose 1.62% or 3.00 points to trade at 188.00 at the close. Tech Mahindra Limited (NSE: TEML ) added 0.22% or 1.25 points to end at 557.55 and Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NSE: BPCL ) was down 0.18% or 1.50 points to 842.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Tata Power Co. Ltd (NSE: TTPW ), which fell 5.21% or 3.85 points to trade at 70.00 in late trade. Idea Cellular Ltd (NSE: IDEA ) declined 4.56% or 8.00 points to end at 167.50 and Asian Paints Ltd. (NSE: ASPN ) down 4.16% or 30.75 points to 708.40.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which rose 1.54% to 187.70, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was down 0.10% to settle at 395.20 and Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which lost 0.30% to close at 817.80.
The worst performers were Tata Power Co. Ltd (BO: TTPW ) which was down 4.88% to 70.15 in late trade, Tata Motors Ltd. (BO: TAMO ) which lost 3.61% to settle at 430.35 and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which was down 3.24% to 243.25 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 1120 to 296 and 9 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 586 fell and 137 advanced, while 2 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 4.26% to 17.8050.
Gold for August delivery was down 0.62% or 7.30 to $1179.30 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 1.07% or 0.66 to hit $60.77 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.87% or 0.57 to trade at $65.13 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.47% at 95.03.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.