The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Idea Cellular Ltd (NSE: IDEA ), which rose 1.59% or 2.75 points to trade at 175.20 at the close. Coal India Limited (NSE: COAL ) added 0.98% or 3.75 points to end at 387.25 and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NSE: BRTI ) was up 0.62% or 2.60 points to 420.70 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Tata Power Co. Ltd (NSE: TTPW ), which fell 5.60% or 4.20 points to trade at 70.85 in late trade. ITC Ltd (NSE: ITC ) declined 4.47% or 14.25 points to end at 304.40 and Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) down 4.04% or 7.85 points to 186.25.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which rose 0.81% to 386.70, Bharti Airtel Ltd. (BO: BRTI ) which was up 0.79% to settle at 421.25 and Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which gained 0.71% to close at 2023.10.
The worst performers were Tata Power Co. Ltd (BO: TTPW ) which was down 6.13% to 70.40 in late trade, ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which lost 4.59% to settle at 304.25 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which was down 3.81% to 308.05 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 1233 to 196 and 4 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 610 fell and 123 advanced, while 1 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Tata Power Co. Ltd (NSE: TTPW ) fell to 52-week lows; falling 5.60% or 4.20 to 70.85. Shares in ITC Ltd (NSE: ITC ) fell to 52-week lows; losing 4.47% or 14.25 to 304.40. Shares in Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) fell to 5-year lows; falling 4.04% or 7.85 to 186.25. Shares in Tata Power Co. Ltd (BO: TTPW ) fell to 52-week lows; down 6.13% or 4.60 to 70.40. Shares in ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) fell to 52-week lows; down 4.59% or 14.65 to 304.25.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 4.07% to 17.5050.
Gold for August delivery was down 0.44% or 5.30 to $1189.10 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 2.03% or 1.25 to hit $60.02 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 2.07% or 1.35 to trade at $64.14 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.27% at 96.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.