The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NSE: MRTI ), which rose 3.02% or 107.00 points to trade at 3648.40 at the close. Sesa Sterlite Ltd (NSE: SESA ) added 2.49% or 5.10 points to end at 210.00 and Wipro Ltd. (NSE: WIPR ) was up 2.03% or 10.60 points to 533.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NSE: BPCL ), which fell 6.18% or 48.20 points to trade at 732.30 in late trade. DLF LIMITED (NSE: DLF ) declined 5.42% or 7.10 points to end at 123.95 and Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) down 4.66% or 10.20 points to 208.45.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which rose 3.02% to 3646.70, Sesa Sterlite Ltd (BO: SESA ) which was up 2.37% to settle at 209.90 and Wipro Ltd. (BO: WIPR ) which gained 1.91% to close at 533.10.
The worst performers were State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which was down 3.08% to 267.15 in late trade, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (BO: REDY ) which lost 3.01% to settle at 3380.95 and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which was down 2.87% to 226.80 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 1204 to 217 and 8 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 499 fell and 89 advanced, while 1 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) fell to 3-year lows; down 4.66% or 10.20 to 208.45.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 1.94% to 18.7350.
Gold for June delivery was up 0.56% or 6.60 to $1181.60 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 0.29% or 0.17 to hit $56.98 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.39% or 0.26 to trade at $65.03 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.35% at 97.41.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.