The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NSE: BHEL ), which rose 3.12% or 7.30 points to trade at 241.45 at the close. Coal India Limited (NSE: COAL ) added 1.38% or 5.10 points to end at 375.00 and Bank Of Baroda (NSE: BOB ) was up 1.05% or 1.65 points to 159.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Ambuja Cements Ltd. (NSE: ABUJ ), which fell 2.37% or 5.50 points to trade at 226.80 in late trade. Vedanta Ltd (NSE: VDAN ) declined 2.16% or 4.30 points to end at 195.10 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NSE: ONGC ) down 2.14% or 7.05 points to 322.50.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which rose 2.88% to 241.00, Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which was up 1.41% to settle at 374.95 and Hero MotoCorp Limited (BO: HROM ) which gained 1.24% to close at 2619.00.
The worst performers were Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which was down 2.33% to 195.35 in late trade, Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which lost 2.05% to settle at 322.55 and Tata Motors Ltd. (BO: TAMO ) which was down 1.60% to 497.10 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 865 to 559 and 8 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 435 fell and 258 advanced, while 1 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 0.80% to 17.0675.
Gold for August delivery was down 0.81% or 9.70 to $1195.20 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.67% or 0.40 to hit $59.32 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.83% or 0.55 to trade at $64.97 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.67% at 97.11.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.