The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Vedanta Ltd (NSE: VDAN ), which rose 3.11% or 5.50 points to trade at 182.55 at the close. Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NSE: HALC ) added 1.61% or 1.90 points to end at 120.10 and ICICI Bank Ltd. (NSE: ICBK ) was up 1.40% or 3.95 points to 287.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ), which fell 4.34% or 7.85 points to trade at 173.00 in late trade. Cipla Ltd. (NSE: CIPL ) declined 3.70% or 22.75 points to end at 591.95 and Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (NSE: REDY ) down 2.50% or 85.15 points to 3321.90.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which rose 3.11% to 182.55, Hindalco Industries Ltd. (BO: HALC ) which was up 1.57% to settle at 119.90 and ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which gained 1.36% to close at 287.10.
The worst performers were Cipla Ltd. (BO: CIPL ) which was down 3.35% to 593.50 in late trade, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (BO: REDY ) which lost 2.34% to settle at 3329.25 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which was down 2.05% to 812.75 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 879 to 527 and 5 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 440 fell and 287 advanced, while 2 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) fell to 5-year lows; falling 4.34% or 7.85 to 173.00.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 4.63% to 18.0100.
Gold for August delivery was up 0.66% or 7.70 to $1181.30 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.73% or 1.00 to hit $59.15 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 2.21% or 1.39 to trade at $64.08 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.10% at 95.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.