The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Coal India Limited (NSE: COAL ), which rose 4.32% or 16.80 points to trade at 405.35 at the close. Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. (NSE: ZEE ) added 3.46% or 11.25 points to end at 336.60 and GAIL Ltd (NSE: GAIL ) was up 3.21% or 12.00 points to 386.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Ambuja Cements Ltd. (NSE: ABUJ ), which fell 3.14% or 7.20 points to trade at 221.80 in late trade. ACC Ltd (NSE: ACC ) declined 2.21% or 32.40 points to end at 1434.50 and UltraTech Cement Ltd (NSE: ULTC ) down 2.15% or 61.80 points to 2806.25.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which rose 4.44% to 405.60, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was up 3.42% to settle at 386.80 and NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which gained 2.52% to close at 140.15.
The worst performers were ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which was down 2.18% to 284.50 in late trade, Tata Motors Ltd. (BO: TAMO ) which lost 2.11% to settle at 442.60 and Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which was down 1.68% to 1197.25 at the close.
Rising stocks outnumbered declining ones by 759 to 660 and 11 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 364 fell and 361 advanced on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 0.19% to 18.0875.
Gold for August delivery was down 0.08% or 0.90 to $1174.30 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.59% or 0.34 to hit $57.66 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.23% or 0.14 to trade at $61.88 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.15% at 95.64.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.