The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Asian Paints Ltd. (NSE: ASPN ), which rose 5.24% or 41.05 points to trade at 824.60 at the close. Coal India Limited (NSE: COAL ) added 2.18% or 9.15 points to end at 428.90 and UltraTech Cement Ltd (NSE: ULTC ) was up 1.91% or 59.25 points to 3161.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included HCL Technologies Ltd (NSE: HCLT ), which lost 3.47% or 33.65 points to trade at 936.30 in late trade. Vedanta Ltd (NSE: VDAN ) declined 2.97% or 4.85 points to end at 158.55 and NTPC Limited (NSE: NTPC ) shed 2.57% or 3.55 points to 134.45.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which rose 2.06% to 428.60, Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which was up 1.47% to settle at 1337.35 and Wipro Ltd. (BO: WIPR ) which gained 0.66% to close at 553.45.
The worst performers were Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which was down 2.76% to 158.55 in late trade, NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which lost 2.61% to settle at 134.35 and Hero MotoCorp Limited (BO: HROM ) which was down 1.91% to 2562.50 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 879 to 565 and 7 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 432 rose and 315 declined, while 2 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 1.81% to 16.3075.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was down 0.17% or 2.00 to $1164.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.05% or 0.03 to hit $53.03 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.31% or 0.18 to trade at $57.34 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.34% to 63.480, while EUR/INR fell 0.43% to 69.6470.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.70% at 97.10.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.